Updated: Jan 16, 2020
Does your body go off-balance due to chronic stress? Modern life and diet can cause deficiencies in our system. How do you reset it? A balanced lifestyle including exercise and a healthy diet are key, and CBD in small, regular amounts can be helpful for some.
Here’s how to buy safe, high-quality CBD in Humboldt County. And read on for more discussion on the topic.
How to buy CBD in Humboldt
1. Go to a licensed dispensary (licensed dispensaries are listed at CApotcheck.com). Products carried in licensed dispensaries in California must have compliance test results, so you know that any product is safe in terms of potency and contaminants.
2. Ask the consultant at the dispensary for a product high on CBD and low on THC to help with managing a specific health issue--pain, sleep, inflammation, etc.
3. Tinctures or salves are a good product to start with, dosage can be easily adjusted. Ask for dosage recommendations.
4. Is the product extracted from Humboldt County-grown cannabis? Humboldt cannabis farmers have decades of experience growing superior quality cannabis organically and sustainably. You will also support local families of farmers.
5. Is the CBD extract full-spectrum, i.e. coming from the whole plant? Full-spectrum CBD extracts have exponential therapeutic effects whereas effects from single-molecule CBD extracts have been shown to hit a peak and then drop off.
What is CBD? CBD is short for canabidiol , one of the many natural compounds found in cannabis. Both hemp CBD and cannabis CBD come from the same mother plant, Cannabis Sativa. The difference is one of designation based on the amount of THC contained in the plant. If the plant has more than 0.3% THC, it’s called cannabis. If it has less than 0.3% THC, it’s called hemp and the amount of THC is small enough to be considered nonexistent. The CBD compound has no psychoactive effect.
CBD and other cannabinoids interact with our internal Endocannabinoid System (ECS) which is largely responsible for homeostasis and regulates inflammatory responses in the body. “CBD works by mimicking the ECS molecules that regulate the immune system and the nervous system. It’s effective at reducing pain, anxiety and other health issues,” explains Gretchen Miller, co-owner of Kiskanu with her husband Jason. Their Eureka-based business manufactures craft, small-batch skin and body products. “Our production starts with sourcing cannabis from local organic farms,” notes Gretchen.
Similarly, Humboldt Apothecary has an absolute commitment to buying their cannabis exclusively from small farms in the county. “Here in Humboldt, we are fortunate to have the best-quality cannabis anywhere in the world,” explains Gillian Levy, co-founder of the business which manufactures tinctures and topicals. It’s not only important to start with the best plant material, but for CBD to be most effective, it’s also key to produce extracts out of the whole plant. Some CBD products are manufactured from isolates, or 100% pure CBD, and all the other compounds of the plant have been stripped away. By contrast, full-spectrum CBD include the plant’s naturally occuring terpenes and phytocannabinoids which have been shown to help in bioavailability meaning that the the body can better absorb and make use of the CBD. In an ideal world, consumers get the synergistic effect of full-spectrum products manufactured from the whole plant.
In terms of product safety, the CBD industry is largely unregulated and products labeled ‘CBD’ in stores may not match label ingredients or compliance. The surest way to buy a safe, fully-tested CBD product is to obtain it from a licensed dispensary, of which there are many in Humboldt County.
--Nicole Riggs is the founder of Manifesto Synergies and Chief Marketing Officer at HCBDC.